GLS / 1956 / Hong Kong
These two banks were in Central District of Victoria City on Hong Kong Island,
the financial centre of what was then a British colony.
On the left is the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank and on the right the Bank of China.
At the time the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank was part of the Lloyds Bank group,
while today it has become HSBC.
These two banks were the tallest buildings in Hong Kong in the 1950s.
There was a rivalry between the financial organisations as to who could build the tallest,
a symbol of monetary and political power.